Monday, 17 October 2011

Initial Entry - 2011

Prior to this placement I am feeling a sense of accomplishment and pride in making it to this point. Goals were set, problems were overcome, goals were achieved. It feels like it has been a long journey to get to this point and starting my first hospital-based practical experience is an opportunity for me to put the theory into practice and learn from real hospital work conditions and restraints (mainly time restraints).

Having a family, full-time study and part time work requires careful time planning. It is an area that is challenging and difficult to manage for my wife and me. With the placement that I have received in is close to home and the children’s school, which makes us both more relaxed and committed to the placement. I know how long it takes me to get there and the parking that is avaiable. I intend to arrive early enough to minimize my stress level as well account for any traffic issues. One of my children is currently diagnosed with a complex motor stereotypy and we are unsure how this development will impact on my placement, but I plan to discuss this with my supervisor so as a plan can be implemented if his symptoms deteriorate.

Having just completed the theory part of the Gerontology unit with Anne-Marie Hill and Jacqui Francis-Coad, I feel much more confident with my understanding of the ageing process and how various conditions can be measured and managed by the physiotherapy team, as well as coordinating with other allied health professionals to achieve best outcomes for the individual. I believe my role in this chain is to be helpful and proactive to the best of my abilities, but also know my limitations and will ask questions if in doubt. If my questions do not seem a priority at the time, I am taking with me various reading resources as a quick referral guide, and will take notes of the various questions that arise during the day. This way I can research the answer myself and speak with my supervisor at more convenient times during the day.

When I first began the Physiotherapy program at Notre Dame I did not think that Gerontology would be an area of interest to me, but having spoken with Anne-Marie and Jacqui I now can see the benefits to my own career as well as to the patients I can be involved in supporting. I am delighted with my first placement and will tackle it with enthusiasm.



No comments:

Post a Comment