Monday, 6 August 2012

Initial Entry 2012


The Shoes do not Make the Man

On my last placement I was introduced to rehabilitation in the gerontology area, mainly focused on post-op orthopaedic rehab. This was a good opportunity to understand the increased demands of the aging community, possible co-morbidities and the influence of a wide array of medications. When reflecting on my time at that facility I fondly remember the staff and the patients and their understanding and help in my learning. This is all very well and good, but after this next prac I want to be looking back and remember how good I was at my job and how many people I was able to help.
The positive that I can take from my last prac was that I felt I had good communication skills and was able to speak with other health professionals, with patients and their families. I was aware of my limitations and of my strengths. In the past year, however, one a whole new set of challenges and information has made me once again unsure of what I know and has again presented the mountain to climb back to a level of confidence in what I know and what I don’t know (staying clear of what I think I know and what I think I don’t know).

Another big positive from my last placement was my safety awareness. My shadowing, wheelchair braking and patient handling, I felt, was spot on. My hygiene awareness was possibly not as good and I contracted viral conjunctivitis from one of the patients after the first week. This is an area that I will most definitely not be taking for granted in the future. Daily charts need to be closely read to see what the patient may be currently suffering from (on top of the main condition) that may be contagious to myself and to other patients and staff that I interact with. I have also purchased a new pair of shoes that will only be used for hospital work. They are much more comfortable than my last pair and don’t have laces as this can be a source of contamination (lack a bit of cool factor though).

I was always punctual for my last placement but had a tendency to cut it fine. This next placement is a little further away so I will have to be prepared the night before and stick to my designated departure time come hell or high water. A coffee mug for the car may help this department considerably. My new Velcro shoes should save around 30 seconds as well!

My biggest hurdle is putting the knowledge into practice. Knowing the assessments and how to conduct them, writing SOAPIERS and other documentation is what I will be focussing on this placement. I feel these are my weakest areas and when conquered will help boost my confidence and time management. Speaking of big hurdles, did I mention my new shoes.

I start my new placement tomorrow armed with maps, workbooks and a pre-packed lunch. Even though I will be eating chicken I will not shy away from the daunting task of working on a neuro rehab ward. The butterflies in my stomach will be replaced by beetles of enthusiasm and ladybugs of dedication. Hopefully this will lead to a colony of other helpful insects working towards the common goal of helping me not make a complete fool of myself. At least I have new shoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment