Sunday, 10 February 2013

Initial Entry - Placement 1 - 2013




For my first placement this year I will be at a musculoskeletal clinic. I am unsure whether I will be in an outpatient or in-patient setting but I have spoken to other students regarding the differences and the only major difference seems to be the acuteness of the injury/surgery. The facility also sent through what subjects should be reviewed prior to starting the placement, which basically covers everything we have learnt in the last three years.

My major concern starting a 4th year placement is that the bar has been raised. The expectations from the supervisor, other physiotherapists and the medical staff will be much higher. This is my first placement at a musculoskeletal setting and although I feel nervous and unsure of the pace required, I am looking forward to applying the many years of anatomy, biomechanics, pathophysiology and joint/muscle testing and rehab that we have covered in the course. I have always tried to place high expectations on myself and am definitely looking forward to the challenge. I will take on all constructive criticism that is offered and make the required changes.

In preparation for this placement I have been reviewing my anatomy notes as well as going over and practicing the neural, muscle and joint tests from our musculoskeletal courses. I have read through my electrotherapy notes and I have studied the subjective questioning sheets and treatment algorithms for the spine, upper limb and lower limb. I am expecting that I will have a slow start with the nerves and new environment but I feel that the years of OSCA’s and clinical setting in which our classes are conducted should make the process of settling in a little easier. I have also practiced some visualization techniques (as suggested by numerous lecturers) of being successful on my first week of placement. This has provided me with some confidence and a little less self-consciousness allowing me more headspace to focus on the needs of the facility and the patient. I am a good physiotherapist…hummmm….I will do well on placement…hmmmm.

One of my major hurdles will once again be time management. Juggling family life, travel, study and work will once again prove an enormous challenge. Using the weekend to prepare for the week ahead, and the night before to prepare for the next day has been the winning formula in the past and will once again be the strategy of choice. Unexpected events can still come up, for these we have the clinical mobile. Losing the car keys will obviously not be acceptable. Spare keys…cut.
I will once again have a bag full of books for covering any down time but more importantly I will have a notebook to jot down the important tips, insights and events to reflect on. My STARES entries proved to be more difficult than I anticipated last placement due to poor preparation. If things are put off until the last minute that minute will be missed. Having key points jotted in a note book, transcribing to a word document at the end of every day, and then typed up on the weekend should help to overcome any late or missed posts.

I feel slightly daunted by the amount of knowledge required for the upcoming placement but I know that if I stay on top of the workload and study, I feel the past three years has prepared me to take on any area in the physiotherapy realm.

No comments:

Post a Comment