For my next placement I will be on a
gerontology ward of a hospital. From the brief and facility notes it appears to
be very similar to my second year placement. My expectations of the placement
are that I will be will be assessing patient’s mobility status and prescribing
mobility aids to rehabilitate them into their normal routines. My biggest
concern is that this will be a repetitive type placement and I will not learn a
great deal more. This is of course completely unfounded as I left that previous
placement well below the level of a professional physiotherapist. This will be
my opportunity to make amends and bring my skills to fruition in the area where I hope to specialize.
On my second year placement I was able to
manage a large patient load and work semi-independently from my supervisor. I
intend to use the first week to familiarize myself with the surroundings, the
people and procedures and try to assist as many of the working physios as I can
to get an understanding of the assessment style and treatment plans being
conducted. From this base I will be able to contribute my abilities to the
group.
I had also been a part of team meetings and
involved in patient referrals and discharge. I felt I left that placement a
little unsure of the procedures and what standards were acceptable to discharge
a patient. I hope to improve on these points at this next placement. To do this
I will read the patient notes more in-depth to understand where they came from
and what aids they were previously using, and what they are expected to be
discharged to with their current level of function. Talking this through with
the patient and collaboratively goal setting is a skill that I have gained from
my previous musculoskeletal outpatient setting and one that I will be
incorporating here.
I feel I will have more confidence
contributing in team meetings and having discussions about a patient with
nursing staff and doctors and be aware that I play an important role in the
patient’s management. I have been rehearsing the ISOBAR method of patient
hand-over in preparation for this placement, as RITH and community
physiotherapy are usually involved post-hospital admission. I am also hoping to
present a professional development session to the physiotherapist group, as I
would like to put my newly acquired research methods skills to the test. This
will be advised by my supervisor as to what will be required.
I feel extremely positive about this
placement and know I will make great gains into the field of gerontology
physiotherapy and into my clinical reasoning abilities.
No comments:
Post a Comment