Monday, 17 June 2013

STARES 2 – Placement 3 - 2013


Communication - Critical Incident

Situation
Week three into a 5 week placement on a cardiorespiratory ward at a major tertiary hospital. I had been struggling to find my feet in the busy environment with so many acute patients. I felt I was starting to get the flow of the multidisciplinary team interaction and was more freely asking questions and giving hand-overs to the medical professionals.

Task
Mobility and respiratory assessment of an AAA (abdominal aortic aneurism) repaired via EVAR (endovascular aneurism repair) 2 days post operation.

Action
I had initially seen the patient briefly the day prior in HDU as the patient had been flagged by the anesthetist as an aspiration risk secondary to a complication during extubation. The patient had been suctioned and placed on precautionary antibiotics. He had been on 4L O2 but weened the day prior by nursing staff. Following protocol, I checked the chest xrays, blood results and the patients observation chart.
Obs// BP 144/90          HR 70(SR)                          Temp: Afeb
Bloods: Hb 112 trending up                        WCC   10.2 trending down
Resp: RR 16                        Cough – strong, dry, non-productive (effective)
CXR – Nil since surgery

I was a bit concerned as I had not mobilized a vascular patient before and made sure I gave a hand-over to the vascular physio to get some advice regarding precautions and contraindications. Her advice was to go slow at all times. If I was in doubt, stop the assessment and get assistance. The biggest issue when mobilizing a vascular patient is vasovagal syncope, fainting caused by a drop in systolic pressure or a rapid change in heart rate, which affects the vagus nerve (Vaddadi, Corcoran & Esler, 2010). As the patient had been up mobilizing independently she did not think this would be an issue but said to check seated and standing blood pressures as a precaution. The patient had medical clearance and I had checked in with the nurse to make sure she had no concerns with the assessment. She gave her okay and I prepared the pulse oximeter and stethoscope for the assessment and treatment session. I entered the patients bed area in HDU and found he resting in bed, dressed but tired. I asked if the patient remembered me from yesterday. He did but I reiterated that I was a student physio. I gained consent for treatment and said I just wanted to check his heart rate, SPO2 and blood pressure before we proceeded. He agreed and sat up over the edge of the bed. I placed the SPO2 monitor on his finger and applied the BP cuff to his right arm. I went through my subjective questioning as we waited for the results and the patient reported some LBP dull constant ache 4/10, nil SOB, dizziness or nausea. The patients vitals were currently BP 140/90, HR 74 and SPO2 96% on room air. I asked the patient to stand up and re-inflated the arm cuff for a standing BP reading. The patient complained that the cuff felt too tight so I loosened it and applied it to my own arm for a reading and gauge if the arm pressure was tolerable. I turned to look at the screen to get a reading and thought I noticed the patient sway as I turned. I looked back and asked if he felt any dizziness or nausea. The patient was unresponsive. He then began to have a severe right sided facial twitch. I sat the patient down and called for help from another physio nearby. She pressed the nurses call button and went for assistance. The patient then began to have severe right sided facial and neck spasms and started to cough uncontrollably. He sounded like he was chocking so I pressed the emergency call button and waited for assistance. The crash cart arrived and I left the patient upright SOEB with the medical team.

Result
This was the first occasion that I have had a negative medical reaction to an assessment or treatment that I have given. I was left shaken and unsure if I had done anything wrong. I was reassured by all staff members that I had acted in accordance with policy and had to document the event in the patient integration notes. I wrote a draft and ran it past my supervisor who assisted me in clarifying some details and improving the overall structure of the documentation. Later that day I found out that the patient was reviewed by the neurological department and concluded that he had trigeminal neuropathy a condition that can occur with vascular compression and hyperactivity of cranial nerves Love & Coakham, 2001)

Evaluation
On reflection, I was confident that I had conducted the assessment as per protocol and with the necessary medical approvals. I  had consulted a more experienced physio and was well prepared for the assessment. The only issue was that I had left the patient standing while I turned to look at the blood pressure monitor. I feel this was a moment when my patient could have collapsed and I would have been unprepared. Pressing the EM button was neccessary but I could have also called out for help. Keeping the patient seated was a positive point as it decreases the chance of intercranial pressure in case of a brain haemorrage or infarct.

Strategies
Patients can collapse at anytime. No matter what their status, if you are the treating therapist their safety is your priority. Make sure every step is checked and double checked – socks, breaks, drains, telemetry, charts, medical clearance etc– because if a patient falls and there is a gap in the process, it will come down to poor practice and could be devastating for you and the patient.



References

Love, S. & Coakham, H.B. (2001). Trigeminal neuraligia: Pathology and pathogenisis. Brain,124, 2347-60. Retrieved from Pubmed on 15th June 2013.

Vaddadi, G. G., Corcoran, S. J., & Esler, M. M. (2010). Management strategies for recurrent vasovagal syncope. Internal Medicine Journal, 40(8), 554-560. doi:10.1111/j.1445-5994.2010.02295.x


No comments:

Post a Comment